Share | 

Vietnam news

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
miua55555

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 am

sosltd wrote:

I prefer my ban gai to "an cu" instead...

What is an cu ?? oh dear. I only know cu = didi. Lolx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sosltd

Location (Country) : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:03 am

miua55555 wrote:
sosltd wrote:

I prefer my ban gai to "an cu" instead...

What is an cu ?? oh dear. I only know cu = didi. Lolx

an = 吃

an cu = 吃弟弟

Not really the right way to say it, but whenever I mention to the VBs in pubs, they start to giggle. LOL....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:17 pm

sosltd wrote:

an = 吃

an cu = 吃弟弟

Not really the right way to say it, but whenever I mention to the VBs in pubs, they start to giggle. LOL....

Wow... can even learn chinese in this forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miua55555

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 pm

[quote="sosltd"]
miua55555 wrote:

an = 吃

an cu = 吃弟弟

I ask my baxa on an cu ... she laugh and laugh and know it means BBBJ.

We better don't teach handsome long, wait his mind corrupted roi. kekeke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:27 pm

miua55555 wrote:

I ask my baxa on an cu ... she laugh and laugh and know it means BBBJ.

We better don't teach handsome long, wait his mind corrupted roi. kekeke.

Yes, Bro long dep trai... just ignore us and our nonsense ok?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:54 am

Just in case anyone needs a BX.

Quite sad actually. Some of these girls are really young.

But I suppose they need to do it due to financial situations back home.

Beats coming out to work as prostitutes.

-------------------------------------------------------

Chinese websites sell Vietnamese brides
Last updated: 6/4/2010 21:15

Chinese websites are advertising Vietnamese women for sale as brides.

“Most Vietnamese girls we introduce are virgins between 18-23 years of age, beautiful, and educated,” boasted Chinese website www.yndear.com.

www.ynxnw.com said “Vietnamese women love husbands, work hard, know housework and are independent,” while another Chinese website said: "Vietnamese women only need a happy life, and they will commit themselves to building a family with a strange man.”

The websites show photos of Vietnamese women and help arrange meetings with the women and brokerages.

The sites also provide information on the official marriage process in Vietnam and problems with trans-border marriages.

According to instructions on www.yndear.com, customers looking for Vietnamese wives pay the website 35,000 Yuan (US$51,300) for the marriage, which includes the brokerage fee, the costs of a wedding party in Vietnam, wedding cars, photos, videos and health check-ups for both sides before marriage. The fee also pays for passports and visas for the brides and payment to the Vietnamese matchmaker.

The husband pays his own travel and must also buy gifts for his new inlaws. The gitfs are usually given in cash between $150-1,200.

Tourism from China like www.wordwife.com or www.travel.haoyii.com also offer marriage facilitation services and have arranged for many Chinese men to visit Vietnam and find wives.

In April 2009, reports on www.chinanews.com.cn said that six-day marriage brokerage tours from China to Vietnam had been advertised online as costing 20,000 Yuan. The ads promised that the tours would end with a Vietnamese virgin wife to bring home three months later.

Operators of the tours also guaranteed customers that they would provide a new wife if the selected bride ran away within a year of the set up, the reports said.

But the news source also said some of the ads were scams.

Groups running the ads listed the addresses of their representative offices in Hanoi, but an investigation by Thanh Nien found that the addresses were fake.

On May 10, 20 Vietnamese wives in Jiangxi went missing.

Chinese investigators said they suspected the husbands had been cheated by con artists who posed as tourism firms and marriage brokers.

Brokering marriages for profit is illegal in Vietnam, where matchmaking can only be conducted by non-profit centers run by provincial women’s associations and charities.

Nguyen Quoc Cuong, an official from Vietnam Ministry of Justice, said marrying a foreigner was a real and normal demand in Vietnam. But women’s associations have not attracted many people, leaving them to be lured by illegal brokerage instead, he said.

Several studies have revealed that the number of Vietnamese women marrying foreigners, mostly from East Asian countries, has surged in the past decade.

Many of those marriages, arranged through unauthorized matchmakers, resulted from the women’s desire to have a better life and help their destitute families in rural areas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Yahoo Vietnam News
Lately some gang operating near bus station and underneath bridges in D1, D4, D7 and D8. Asking money from people. Could be those drug addicts.

http://tuoitre.vn/Chinh-tri-Xa-hoi/Phong-su-Ky-su/385841/Xin-deu.html

Last edited by botarbolampar on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Updated June, 23 2010 09:43:45 Email
Print HCM City to add new street names

HCM CITY — Two-hundred more street names are slated to be added to an official list in an aim to identify some of the 2,000 unnamed streets in HCM City.

The 200 new names must be approved by the HCM City People's Committee.

The street names will be added to the current official list of 150 names.

Many of the unnamed streets are either newly built or informally named by residents, city officials have said.

Half of the unnamed streets are located in suburban Cu Chi District, according to Phan Trong Hien, secretary of the city's Council of Street Names.

The council is in charge of compiling a list of appropriate names and assigning street names, all of which are then approved by the committee.

Each city district is responsible for applying for street names, and applications will be considered on a chronological basis.

This year, the Council of Street Names plans to submit to the People's Committee for approval of 35 names for streets in District 2 and 45 names in Tan Phu District, although the two districts have applied for 52 and 74 names, respectively.

Last year, the council failed to name a single street due to delays in formalities required by the city.

The council said it would also suggest replacements of inappropriate names often given informally by local residents or street developers.

Some of these include names such as Duong vao trung tam thuong mai Binh Dien (street to Binh Dien wholesale market), Duong ven tuong rao san bay (street around airport fences), Duong duoi chan cau Sai Gon (street underneath Sai Gon Bridge). — VNS

MAYBE ONE DAY WE WILL HAVE THE NAME "SINGAPORE STREET".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:07 pm

British amateur sings Vietnamese songs
Tuoi Tre http://www.vietnewsonline.vn/News/Features/16773/British-amateur-sings-Vietnamese-songs.htm

Lee Kirby is pictured with his guitar Photo courtesy of Lee Kirby's blog

A Briton is winning the hearts and minds of Vietnamese music fans by singing Vietnamese songs and putting them on social networking website YouTube.

Songs like Em oi Ha Noi pho, Diem xua, Que nha, Dem thay ta la thac do, Nong nan Ha Noi have propelled Lee Kirby to stardom.

The Londoner visited Vietnam several times and once stayed for seven months, traveling around the country and falling in love with its music.

Most of the songs he sings are written by Trinh Cong Son, the late singer/songwriter who became an icon for his enchanting love ballads and gripping anti-war songs.

“I love Trinh’s music and personally feel the beauty, not only of the melody but also of the lyrics.

“Every time I listen to Trinh’s music I am touched.

“I think it’s really hard to explain since my Vietnamese is not good and Trinh’s music is considered complicated even for Vietnamese people.”

He spent a lot of time walking along Hanoi streets, talking to locals, and getting to know them.

A friend first posted one of Lee’s Vietnamese songs on YouTube, a melancholic ballad called Diem xua, and received a lot of positive feedback.

“I didn’t even know the video was uploaded on YouTube … so I was very surprised when I received feedback and comments from so many people.

“Since then I have more motivation to listen to Vietnamese music more often.

“I am also invited to sing at Vietnamese shows and concerts around the world.

“Nothing is more exciting!”

Lee works as the director of operations at Ashbourne College, a private institution in London, which has around 20 Vietnamese students.

During Tet (the Lunar New Year) in February 2010, he was invited by the UK’s ambassador in Vietnam, Mark Kent, to perform Que nha (Hometown) before a Vietnamese audience in the UK, and he completely won their hearts.

“I couldn’t believe that I, a foreigner, was trusted to be the connection between these people and their home country.

“The applause and the look they gave me were so emotional,” he said.

Kent himself was popular for his Vietnamese-language blog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:38 pm

So Bro Botar,

When can can I see your video on Youtube?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
long_dep_zai

Location (Country) : Hanoi, Vietnam

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 am

Oh I listenned to his songs and He did a really great job!
he can sing nearly like a Vietnamese does
go on Lee Kirby!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Adguy wrote:
So Bro Botar,

Ok later I'll go and do recording kekekekekekeke bo tay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:09 pm

botarbolampar wrote:
Adguy wrote:
So Bro Botar,

Ok later I'll go and do recording kekekekekekeke bo tay.

What's the meaning of this word?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
long_dep_zai

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:09 am

Adguy wrote:

Can I explain?
"bó tay" literally means your hands have been tied

but deeply means that you have no ability to do something or you give up with something.

Ex: Anh Ady uống bia giỏi quá, tôi bó tay rồi!
Mr. Ady drinks beer so well, I can't drink with him anymore!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:55 am

long_dep_zai wrote:
Adguy wrote:

Can I explain?

but deeply means that you have no ability to do something or you give up with something.

Thanks.... Understand now.

But wouldn't it also be 'Throw hand' which means like breakup? Just asking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cunt_ranger

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 am

Adguy wrote:
long_dep_zai wrote:
Adguy wrote:

Can I explain?

Thanks.... Understand now.

But wouldn't it also be 'Throw hand' which means like breakup? Just asking.

Bo tay is used to refer to the inability to do something and can have an induced meaning of stupid (as you cannot do or complete simple tasks) as explained by my bx!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:12 pm

Wa...

Hanoi version and HCM version so different
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 am

Coffee in a world of paper

Tien Tai Café Giay (Paper Coffee Shop) is what its name suggests. A café made from paper. It may seem a bizarre notion, but in Ho Chi Minh City’s ultra-competitive and flourishing café society, any café worth its arabica needs a fresh perspective and a new selling point.

Nestled among other cafés on the street, Café Giay stands apart from the pack because of its simplicity, content simply to attract the busy and weary passersby in need of escape from the noise, traffic and general hustle and bustle of the street.

The thinking behind this place is different from other coffeehouses in town - which are often comfortably but gaudily designed thanks to the backing of the odd big-shot investor or two.

Café Giay has stripped all that back. Using space liberally sets of tables and chairs are sprinkled throughout its small cozy rooms. Perhaps the shining light of individualism comes from the use of materials.

Cardboard and paper tubes, hundreds and hundreds of paper tubes, are used to make the chairs, tables and sofas.

The shop has three floors. On the terrace, customers can kick back with a coffee and a cool breeze to batter back this southern city’s stifling heat. When it rains, cover is provided by a paper roof - an obvious inclusion to a uniquely themed spot.

But it is the second floor, where the owners have gone paper buck-wild. Huge cardboard boxes overlap each other in a collage of processed trees, light shades are made from paper and hundreds of rectangular pieces of cardboard are stuck on the wall, as a mural of sorts.

It makes sense that a café dedicated to paper would support the most famous of paper art forms. Customers are encouraged to try Origami, the Japanese art, on the second floor.

There is already a growing collection of made pieces. A crane, an eagle, a dragon, all intricately folded by hand.

It also doubles as the weekly meeting place of an Origami Club, which converges on the cafe on Sundays.

“This coffee shop originated from the ideas of my brothers who were studying at the Architecture University,” said Thanh, the owner. “They helped me build the shop.”

“To get all the paper tubes and cardboard, took ages and a lot of searching.” Thanh said. “Paper cups and coffee filters will also be used to create an entire world of paper.”

Café Giay is located at 237/148A Tran Van Dang Street in District 3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 am

Geishas make appearance at HCMC restaurants
Tuoi Tre

A hostess at KV Restaurant on HCMC’s Pham Viet Chanh Street. Many restaurants in the city now hire young women to sit with guests; some are above board while others are not.TUOI TRE

Ngo Van Nam Street in Ho Chi Minh City’s downtown District 1 is chock-full of swanky Japanese, South Korean, and Chinese restaurants.

The place is now also gaining popularity for the unusually attractive hostesses in beautiful ao dai (traditional Vietnamese tunic) who welcome guests to the restaurants.

Guests are greeted in several languages by as many as 20 of the young women and led to a cozy VIP room where they have the option of choosing one to be their companion, but strictly for conversation only.

The women are usually conversant with many subjects like love, business, politics, and culture.

Any visitor who appears to be seeking more than just conversation is turned down with a polite smile. “Many visitors got it wrong at first, but now they are used to our job,” says Trang, a hostess.

“Foreign customers ask us to teach them Vietnamese language and culture, or even hire us as interpreters to talk to business partners.”

Trang, who is from HCMC, says she is paid an average US$15-20 for two hours. As a student, the job enables her to support herself and practice Japanese.

KV Restaurant on Pham Viet Chanh Street is becoming famous for its charming hostesses who cost $15 an hour.

But Tuoi Tre correspondents were disappointed after spending two hours with some of them since they made nothing more than shallow conversation.

According to the hostesses, they get only half of the $15 fee guests pay the restaurant and earn around VND15 million ($812) a month.

The rates vary: restaurants on Pham Ngu Lao Street, the backpackers’ area, may charge up to $100 while it costs $50-70 for two hours at restaurants on Suong Nguyet Anh and Tran Hung Dao streets.

The women are hired based on certain criteria: they should be beautiful, at least 1.65 meters tall, highly educated, fluent in one or two foreign languages, and trained in psychology or communication.

A male host with women customers TUOI TRE

But a restaurant owner in District 1 admits looks are the foremost criterion.

T.M.H, the owner of a restaurant on Le Thanh Ton Street, says: “Our services are attracting many foreign visitors who want to meet young, pretty, and knowledgeable Vietnamese girls.”

But, predictably, it is abused at many places, with several restaurant owners admitting the women have been found to engage in prostitution.

H. said she recently fired five hostesses for dating the restaurant’s customers after working hours.

Tuoi Tre reporters propositioned a pretty hostess at B. Restaurant on Hai Ba Trung Street, and much to their surprise, she agreed. She even offered weekly and monthly services by her group and to accompany customers during trips.

Many hostesses at KV Restaurant also ignored rules like no drinking.

The restaurant hires male staff to sit with women customers for VND200,000 ($11) an hour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:25 am

The most popular news paper in vietnam (similar to our strait times)

http://www.tuoitrenews.vn/ (english version)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:08 am

Another viet english online newspaper.

http://english.vovnews.vn/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
botarbolampar

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:40 am

Ngoc Han crowned Miss Vietnam 2010
Last update 18:32, Sunday, 15/08/2010 (GMT+7)
VietNamNet Bridge - The pageant closed last night, August 14, in Ha Long city, Quang Ninh city with Hanoi’s Dang Thi Ngoc Han crowned as the beauty queen.

View all the photos here:

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/photogal/201008/Ngoc-Han-crowned-Miss-Vietnam-2010-929184/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cunt_ranger

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:51 pm

botarbolampar wrote:
Ngoc Han crowned Miss Vietnam 2010
Last update 18:32, Sunday, 15/08/2010 (GMT+7)
VietNamNet Bridge - The pageant closed last night, August 14, in Ha Long city, Quang Ninh city with Hanoi’s Dang Thi Ngoc Han crowned as the beauty queen.

View all the photos here:

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/photogal/201008/Ngoc-Han-crowned-Miss-Vietnam-2010-929184/

Hoa Hau VN 2010 dep qua!!! Bro you notice contestant 480??? Her boobs damn power la!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
long_dep_zai

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:03 am

No I dont agree! she's not beautiful at all!
there's some girl much more deserve for that! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LearnViet_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:17 am

long_dep_zai wrote:
No I dont agree! she's not beautiful at all!
there's some girl much more deserve for that! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I agree. There are soooo many more beautiful girls in VN.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vietnam news   Today at 2:22 am

Back to top Go down

Vietnam news
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next